Thursday, March 14, 2013

THIS and THAT


It is not snowing where I am. It was warm enough today that I was wearing a tank top and wishing that I had packed sunscreen. However, it was snowing a month and a half ago when all of my belongings, and the belongings of my daughter and husband, were loaded onto a large dingy van by three burly men. THAT was Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. THIS is San Francisco. San Francisco, California. THAT was the place where I had lived, except for one roller coaster of a year, since I was 18 years old. It was the place where I realized that I loved medium rare meat and liberals. It was the place where I arrived wearing a pair of giant shapeless blue polyester pants with a hole at the heel which I had made myself, an untouched unibrow, and not a smidge of make-up. It is a place where I learned to look up when I walked, to slow down when I talked, to do research, and to paint my nails. It is the place where I fell in love (with knowledge, with cities, with difference, with humans, with coffee, with a boy). THIS is unexplored territory. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment: